During these hot summer days, there is no better way to cool down than with a delicious cool treat, like Granita! Not only is it the perfect mix of refreshing and sweet, it’s also a ton of fun to make. Let’s get started!
We decided to use kombucha for the base. You could use water or juice as well.
The cub adds her favorite part…sugar!
Next up the cub chops the watermelon. One piece in the blender, one piece in the mouth! 🙂
Grandma DiDi zests a lime and adds it to the blender.
Then the cub gets to squeeze the lime for its juices. SQQQUUEEEEZZEE!
They poured the kombucha mix into the blender and it was ready to mix.
The cub covered her ears because it was really loud!
Once it’s all mixed together, they poured the mixture into a 9 X 13 pan (metal works best) and put it in the freezer.
Outfit change! Every 45 minutes they pulled it from the freezer to scrape it with a fork. This process insures it breaks into little fluffy ice pieces.
The finished product… Summer treat perfection!
(Recipe adapted from Kitchn)
- 1/2 of a small seedless watermelon(any fruit you choose)
- 1-2 tbsp of sugar (depending on sweetness of fruit)
- 1/4 cup of ginger Kombucha (or water or other liquid you wish to use)
- 1 lime, for zest and juice
- Mix together kombucha and sugar, set aside so sugar dissolves
- Cut the watermelon into small pieces
- Add all ingredients, plus lime zest and juice to blender and puree until smooth
- Pour into 9 X 13 pan
- Place pan in freezer and set timer for 30- 45 minutes
- Remove and scrape the granita mixture with fork and return to freezer
- Repeat scraping with fork 3-4 times and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving