It’s that time of year! Kids are back in school and the lunch boxes are pulled out and dusted off ready to take on the school year.
The cub started 3 Day Preschool last week and it’s her first year eating lunch at school. We purchased a Planet Box and a friend from school gifted us the Omie. Both are fabulous lunch boxes!
We prepared two fun and healthy lunch box ideas that incorporate some of our old recipes! Scroll down for links to the recipes!
Omie lunch box:
- New savory pumpkin bread (Recipe to come) to make a sunbutter and apple sandwich
- Roasted seaweed
- Watermelon balls
- Brown Butter Pumpkin Cookies
A new restaurant recently opened up by our house and they make these amazingly crunchy and slightly sweet plantain chicken strips. The cub loves them so we decided to try and recreate them. Not quite the same, but close!
The cub started off the preparations by scooping some coconut oil into a bowl. This will serve as a coating for the chicken.
We ran to our nearest Trader Joes and grabbed their Sweet Plantain Chips. Sooo good!
We placed the chips in an old coffee grinder to bring them to a fine ground.
The cub enjoyed pushing the button!
Grandma DiDi scooped the plantain grinds into a bowl while the cub watched.
The cub seasoned the plantains with salt and pepper. Now they are ready to dip the chicken!
The cub helps Grandma DiDi coat the chicken in plantain grinds.
The chicken strips are placed on a baking sheet ready to go in the oven.
Time to dig in!
Try our healthier version of a chicken strip! Enjoy!
Plantain Crusted Chicken Strips
- 1/2 lbs. chicken breast strips
- 1/2 bag Sweet Plantain Chips from Trader Joes, crushed to either a crunchy or fine grind
- Approximately 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted or 2 eggs whipped
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- Grind plantain chips to a fine ground (or courser if you choose)
- Season plantain grounds with salt and pepper
- Dip chicken strips in coconut oil (egg would work also here)
- Dredge chicken in plantain grounds
- Place chicken on parchment covered baking sheets
- Bake chicken for 15 – 20 min or until cooked through