When you are in a hurry, there is nothing better than having something readily available in the fridge or freezer to grab and go. These morning glory muffins are packed with fruit, veggies, fiber and protein to fuel your little cub through the morning.
The cub began by helping add apples to the food processor.
The cub doesn’t like loud noises so she held her ears while Grandma DiDi grated the apples and carrots.
Time to add the dry ingredients to the bowl. This is the cubs favorite part.
After stirring with her handy piggy spoon, she stops to smell the ingredients.
The cub examines the grated apples and likes the texture. She takes a few handfuls and adds them to the bowl.
But quickly realizes its easier to just dump them in.
Grandma DiDi shows the cub how to scoop the honey out of the measuring cup. The cub is fascinated and giving the process her full attention.
Grandma DiDi gave the cub a dried wild blueberry and had her guess what it was. The cubs first guess… a raisin!
Such a big helper! The cub helps grease the muffin pan with avocado oil.
And lastly scoops the muffin mixture into the greased pan. This is great for hand-eye coordination!
Bake and you have these delicious wholesome muffins! Let them cool and eat or keep them in the refrigerator for about a week in an air tight bag. You can also wrap them well and freeze for 3 – 4 weeks.
Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup flax meal
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp each baking soda and baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk or your choice of milks
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 TBSP avocado oil
- 2 TBSP molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (we used walnuts but choose what you want)
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 medium sized apple grated (with skin)
- 1 cup dried fruit of choice (we used Trader Joes wild dried blueberries)
(Makes 12 -15 muffins)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease regular sized cupcake tins well with butter or oil
- Put all dry ingredients in bowl and whisk together until well blended.
- Add milk, vanilla, honey, yogurt, molasses, coconut, grated carrots and grated apples and blend well by hand or in mixer.
- Beat egg with oil in a separate bowl and add to muffin mixture.
- Add chopped nuts and blend well.
- Pour into tins and bake 25 – 30 minutes until almost dry with toothpick test.